Saturday, April 11, 2015

Tips for Task Boxes/ Independent Work Time

It's really important for all students to be able to work independently, regardless of disability! Independent work time/ task boxes are frequently used in classrooms designed for kids with Autism (think TEACCH and ABA). Since my students have severe/multiple disabilities (some of them have Autism), I have implemented some traditional strategies but don't 100% stick to them! I want to share some easy to implement tips to make task boxes more meaningful.

Tips/Ideas:
-Label each task with a simple "I can statement" or SLO (student learning objective). This helps the student, anyone possibly working with the student, and anyone in the classroom who is observing to better understand the goal the student is working on.


-Label boxes with students names (and possibly color coded or with a shape) so that students can identify their boxes and independently retrieve them for work time. (I change the activities in the boxes daily.)

-Move past the boring alphabet matching activities... Make letter matching more meaningful by having them match the letters in their names, places in the community, or one of their parent's names!


-For students who are working on matching pictures, picture symbols or words, have students match words/pictures in specific content areas linked to the Common Core (like words about Earth's materials, Solar System, landmarks, United States Presidents, bodies of waters, etc. The list is really never ending, but stop having kids just match basic pictures of food, toys, and body parts!


-Have the students match numbers on rulers, number lines, meter sticks, thermometers, etc.

-Have students match numbers that are in a pattern (counting by 2s, 5s, 10s, etc.)

-Have students match numbers in fractions

Workbasket Wednesday at Autism Classroom News

7 comments:

  1. I love your work task ideas. I am curious how you store them and how often you change them. I am also curious about what your lesson plans look like. I have a self contained classroom and I am always looking for ideas regarding lesson plans. Thank you.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy! I love to collaborate with other self-contained teachers! I store the task box activities in folders and baskets that are organized by topic (like math, science, writing, fine motor, etc.). If you send me your email address, I can send you the outline of our daily schedule! I would love for you to send me yours too, I'm always looking for ways to change up our routines because I have my students for up to 6 years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. My email is vangundya@gmail.com. I don't have a great lesson plan yet because I can never figure out what is going to work best for me. -laughs- Thank you so much for sending me your lesson plan template. I would love to speak to you more through email. Thanks again,

      Amy

      Delete
    2. I just sent it, sorry it took a while! Please send your schedule my way too!

      Delete
  3. I am also a self contained classroom teacher and am new and eager to learn. Could I please get an outline of your daily schedule? My email is kristalynnharrington@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am also a self contained classroom teacher and am new and eager to learn. Could I please get an outline of your daily schedule? My email is kristalynnharrington@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just emailed it to you, I hope it helps! Please send me any ideas your have!

      Delete