Sunday, December 29, 2013

"One More" Method- Teaching kids with disabilities to purchase items

Although I'm an elementary teacher, I think that teaching money math skills is an important functional skill to start teaching kids at a young age. We work on counting and using money daily in our classroom. Students get paid for completing classroom jobs and we take two trips a month to a nearby gas station for students to spend their money.

These are the "1 More Money Mats" I use in our classroom and an example of how we use them.



Download this activity for free here.

Note: I know that a lot of teachers use fake money  in the classroom to teach money math... However, I avoid fake/play money 100% of the time! Nothing is worse than teaching kids money math with play money and going to the mall with real money and getting the deer in the highlights look.

 photo xo_zpseacd4335.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment