Sunday, November 4, 2012

Bead box for sensory input and kids with Autism

Toys and equipment made for kids with disabilities are RIDICULOUSLY expensive... So once again, I'm trying to recreate these toys for a fraction of the cost. 

A hot toy for students with disabilities are the bead chains. They're great for sensory input. Sadly, they cost well over $100 from sellers like AutismEnabled. 

Here is my $7 recreation:

To make this you can follow the tutorial for the Sensory Stand I have posted, but make minor changes in the size of materials used including:
-Use 1/2 in. PVC pipe with following length measurements: 
     (3) 1 ft. pieces
     (4) 3 in. pieces
-Use 1/2 in. for all the fittings

-Then I drilled a hole on each leg so I can use a C-clamp to attach the stand to the table.
-Last, I hot glued bead necklaces from the a dollar store to the top of the stand.

Leave comments with any questions!

5 comments:

  1. Brilliant! So simple. Thank you for sharing! Found your blog through Pinterest

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fabulous!!! Wonderful idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it- made two of these and my students really enjoy them! thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is amazing! I can't wait to make one for my autism classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't seem to find the original directions to make this. Can you help? Sue

    ReplyDelete